We live in a beautiful part of the country, but we tend to be stay within a 10 mile radius from our house and not get out and explore much.

No more.

On our way to Lummi Island for Thanksgiving, we made the decision to start taking more little weekend trips — shooting for once a month to someplace we hadn’t been or wanted to explore more of.

So this was our inaugural trip of 2015, and we decided to head out to Kalaloch Lodge out on the coast of Washington.



Coloring with a view of the Space Needle

After packing up Friday morning, we started the weekend off at one of our favorite breakfast spots at CJ’s Eatery in downtown Seattle. Next was a short stop at Seattle Children’s for Gabriel’s monthly check-up, and then we headed out.

We arrived just after “sunset” on Friday evening, but since it was raining heavily, sunset didn’t really matter – it was just dark. Our two bedroom suite was perfect – Gabriel stayed in one bedroom in his pack & play, Elise slept on the futon, and Katie and I had a room with a peek-a-boo view of the ocean. It had no Internet and no TV in order to help disconnect – but came with a wood burning fireplace instead.

View from our balcony

The view from our balcony in the morning.

We had a nice little dinner at the lodge, put Gabriel down for bed, and the three of us watched Tangled on the laptop until crashing that evening.

"Sometimes Mommy and Daddy just put me places while they do other things!"

“Sometimes Mommy and Daddy just put me places while they do other things!”

The next morning, we had breakfast back at the lodge (where the restaurant manager remembered both Elise & Gabriel’s names from the night before!) before packing up and hitting the beach.

Counting the fish on the wall

Counting the fish on the wall

When you’re three, nothing is better than the beach, even if it’s a little bit rainy.






View from the top of the “cliff” where the lodge sits.






IMG_0037Somebody had an awesome time

Elise’s favorite game was running down the beach towards the water, waiting for a wave to come in, and running away from it as fast as she could.

Running from the waves

A video posted by todd (@toadgee) on

The trip back we had two kiddos that conked out… some more comfortably than others.


On Bainbridge Island, we caught the ferry back to Seattle.

Somebody was pretty happy waiting in the queue to get onto the ferry

Somebody was pretty happy waiting in the queue to get onto the ferry




Once in the city, we drove down to the stadium to get the necessary preparations for Super Bowl Sunday! E got a new hat, while I got a jersey. Katie left empty handed — which is sad since she was the only one we really wanted to get a jersey for.



It was a quick trip, since we had to be back for church on Sunday, but we all had a blast and are looking forward to next month!

One comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *